Re: Debian on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Matti Palmström <mattip.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Just saw a good price on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA that runs on a Media Tek MT8173C. Does anyone know if it's possible to install Debian to a chromebook like that? I'm googling as I write this but I can't really find anything about it.

Normal user space should work as it does on any Arm platform. I assume
this uses google's
"Hana" mainboard design like Acer R13 and some Lenovo Chromes, which
was only added
with Linux-5.8 and presumably won't work in the standard Debian
kernel. I think you can just
use the original ChromeOS kernel though.

The biggest problem is likely going to be the GPU, as there are no
open source drivers for
PowerVR.

      Arnd