Re: Debian on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA?

On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 17:32, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Matti Palmström <mattip.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > Just saw a good price on an ASUS Chromebook C202XA that runs on a Media Tek MT8173C. Does anyone know if it's possible to install Debian to a chromebook like that? I'm googling as I write this but I can't really find anything about it.
>
> Normal user space should work as it does on any Arm platform. I assume
> this uses google's
> "Hana" mainboard design like Acer R13 and some Lenovo Chromes, which
> was only added
> with Linux-5.8 and presumably won't work in the standard Debian
> kernel. I think you can just
> use the original ChromeOS kernel though.

I use oak-elm Acer R13 which is also mediatek MT8173 (though don't see
'c' at the end) with Alpine linux userspace and kernel from
https://gitlab.collabora.com/eballetbo/linux/-/commits/topic/chromeos/somewhat-stable-next
made by Enric Balletbo i Serra (and some other developers).

Enric told me that he use Acer R13 (elm-oak) with Debian userspace, so I
think/hope this board could also work.

Some things doesn't still work, i.w. suspend-to-ram/resume, dmidecode,
sensors-detect and maybe something else which I didn't tried.

When I bought this chromebook (Acer R13) I installed Debian on it with
chromeos kernels and it worked fine but I switched to alpine for other
reasons.

> The biggest problem is likely going to be the GPU, as there are no
> open source drivers for
> PowerVR.

Yes, looks like there is no chances to get this working, though
mediatek-drm is quite usable for 'normal' work.