Re: Debian with Debian kernel on Pinebook Pro

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2020-08-29, Birger Schacht wrote:
>> I am trying to get a Debian (bullseye) installation to work on the
>> Pinebook Pro with the Debian kernel package. I managed to install Debian
>> back in February, but back then this was with a custom kernel with a lot
>> of patches [0]. As far as I know most if not all of the relevant patches
>> where merged upstream. Yet I am failing to get a working display.
>
> I don't think support for the display is upstream yet, and the same for
> display on upstream u-boot, FWIW.

I don't remember exactly the status for the kernel but for graphical
uboot, the patches are not (yet) upstream. I hope to send patches for
review soon. Meanwhile:
- the patches are at: http://people.hupstream.com/~rtp/pbp/20200727/
- binaries can be found here:
https://github.com/samueldr/wip-pinebook-pro/pull/13.

Unfortunately, due to commit "pwm: Read initial hardware state at
request time" in linux kernel, using uboot with my graphic patches will
freeze the kernel (this means 5.6+). The issue is not fully debugged atm
but you'll find a patch in Samuel's PR to workaround the issue.

> I have had luck pulling the patches from one of the manjaro 5.8
> branches:
>
>   https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/linux-pinebook-pro
>
> Applying those patches to a mainline kernel, which should work on
> Debian's kernel without too much trouble(beyond learning quirks of the
> linux packaging in Debian and the effort to actually build the
> package). It is less than 30 patches, and probably could leave a few of
> them out. Some are clearly hacks and aren't going to land in mainline
> and many of the commit messages are noted as such.
>

> There's one patch in upstream 5.9-rc* to enable battery status:
>
>   c7c4d698cd2882c4d095aeed43bbad6fc990e998
>   arm64: dts: rockchip: add fuel gauge to Pinebook Pro dts
>
> I was thinking of backporting it Debian's 5.8 kernel to at least be able
> to know how the battery is doing...
>

> At the moment, for an unpatched kernel, it's still limited to serial
> console and ssh.
>

> It's on my TODO list to see what the minimum set of additional patches
> would be, and I've been keeping an eye on upstream for relevent patches
> and occasionally apply them to the current sid and/or experimental
> kernels a version or two early when it seems reasonable...

It's more or less on my TODO too, but I prefer working on upstreaming my
uboot patches first.

Arnaud