Re: Hostname v buster

On 7/1/19, grumpy@mailfence.com <grumpy@mailfence.com> wrote:
>> I had a hell of a time pulling it as I did a google search, and when the
>> download had started, google was still in the firefox address  bar, and
>> I had to restart a timedout fail several hundred times.  So I'm doing it
>> again, and its coming it at an average of 1 meg/sec this time. I got the
>> sha512 and info files too.
>>

> try wget

Oh, my gosh, YES! "wget -c" rocks on dialup!

After a quick search, from "man wget" comes:

-t number OR --tries=number: Set number of tries to number. Specify 0
or inf for infinite retrying. The default is to retry 20 times, with
the exception of fatal errors like "connection refused" or "not found"
(404), which are not retried.

For the "-c" flag:

-c OR --continue: Continue getting a partially-downloaded file.  This
is useful when you want to finish up a download started by a previous
instance of Wget, or by another program.

"wget -c" has been a HUGE HERO in last few weeks. For some reason,
"apt-get install" has multiple times now DELETED partial downloads and
started over when it's for same upgrade version number. Never had that
happen before.

That's a pain when it's e.g. 20 or 30MB partials that represent 2 or 3
hours of download wear-and-tear time. "wget -c" gets in there and
successfully FINISHES off that exact same partial dotDEB archive
download now. YES... I've had to learn to... incrementally backup even
partial dotDEB downloads for moments just like this. You do what you
gotta do when *IT WORKS!*

PS #ThankYou, Developers!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed.. and possibly even a Raspberry Pi sooner than
later! k/t #OSNews for being the first to get giddy with that news in
my inbox last week. *