Re: MP30-AR0 arm64 sdcard slot not detected

Hi Mike,

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 07:29:41AM +0100, Michael Howard wrote:
>Posted this to wrong list initially, sorry all!
>
>I've just re-installed debian (stretch) on the Gigabyte MP30-AR0 board using
>the installer netinst iso (any later install images fail) and the sdcard slot
>is not showing up. The kernel is vmlinuz-4.9.0-11-arm64 and I have also rebuilt
>it ensuring all the MMC options I should need are selected.
>
>I'm now suspecting a devicetree issue. Checking the output from dtc, using 'dtc
>-I fs -O dts /sys/firmware/devicetree/base' there is no mention of mmc.
>However, an 'mmc' entry exists in the source code file 'apm-storm.dtsi', which
>is 'included' by  'apm-mustang.dts', which I'm assuming is the dts file used by
>the kernel build system, I used bindeb-pkg to build the debs.
>
>Previously, I've manually built the image, modules and dtb (last occasion using
>mainline 4.9.2) and the card slot was not a problem.
>
>Anybody any ideas as to what's happening? Can I ensure that 'bindeb-pkg' uses a
>specific dts? If so, how?

First question: how are you booting the system? U-Boot or UEFI?

IME the X-Gene platform should normally use a DTB provided by
firmware. There are bits of the platform that are configured by
firmware at boot, so you can't reliably use a static DTB with the
kernel image.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll