Re: MP30-AR0 arm64 sdcard slot not detected

On Sunday 20 October 2019 09:19:00 Alan Corey wrote:

> Do you have a way to boot a generic kernel as a test?  What does ls
> /dev/sd* look like?  How about a USB SD card reader?  Reminds me of
> building a custom kernel and leaving something out by accident.  Maybe
> a dependency of the SD card slot.  Weird though.

I've some pi's here, they they always id the sd they boot from
as /dev/mmcblk+ an identifier, on both a pi3 and a pi4.
The card readers always sign in ack a dmesg report as /dev/sda|b|c|d etc
plus the partition number. And thats the same for this stretch on amd64
as it is on the pi's. No clue of course how your gigabyte bios might
handle that. I just rebooted this amd64 stretch, I was up to /dev/sdi#
for the card readers. Lots of traffic there as I build boot cards for
the pi's, on the pi's but move the image to this machine about half the
time to write the card. The lack of spare ports on the pi's is the main
reason as I've a pair of ssd's I use as scratchpads when building new
images or debs of linuxcnc.  The pi's are actually running machine shop
stuff like metal lathes and multi-axis mills. They run the machines
nicely, but the video on the pi3 is rather glacial. So once its had
another 2 hours to warm up I'll open the garage door for working room
and swap the pi3 running a medium sized (11x54) Sheldon lathe, out for a
pi4 with about 20x faster video.

I may have grown old at 85, but I've never grown up. :)

The reason I stuck my hand up is that the sd cards are generally accessed
via an spi path, whereas the mmc's have a more parallel interface for
higher bandwidth. So to clarify, read the helps for the spi stuff in
your config as something missing there might preclude the proper
detection of the sd hardware.

> On Oct 20, 2019 8:30 AM, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 October 2019 02:29:41 Michael Howard wrote:
> > > Posted this to wrong list initially, sorry all!
> > >
> > > I've just re-installed debian (stretch) on the Gigabyte MP30-AR0
> > > board using the installer netinst iso (any later install images
> > > fail) and the sdcard slot is not showing up. The kernel is
> > > vmlinuz-4.9.0-11-arm64 and I have also rebuilt it ensuring all the
> > > MMC options I should need are selected.
> >
> > I've not run into that, but it my understanding that an sd slot is
> > an entirely different critter from MMC.  So you may want to go thru
> > your .config again with that in mind.
> >
> > > I'm now suspecting a devicetree issue. Checking the output from
> > > dtc, using 'dtc -I fs -O dts /sys/firmware/devicetree/base' there
> > > is no mention of mmc. However, an 'mmc' entry exists in the source
> > > code file 'apm-storm.dtsi', which is 'included' by
> > > 'apm-mustang.dts', which I'm assuming is the dts file used by the
> > > kernel build system, I used bindeb-pkg to build the debs.
> > >
> > > Previously, I've manually built the image, modules and dtb (last
> > > occasion using mainline 4.9.2) and the card slot was not a
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Anybody any ideas as to what's happening? Can I ensure that
> > > 'bindeb-pkg' uses a specific dts? If so, how?
> > >
> > > This system dual boots with RedSleeve and that side is not a
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Mike.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis