Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> writes:

> (hi gene, hope you don't mind, i'm cc'ing the list back again, i
> assume you accidentally didn't hit "reply-to-all?"  or that i did, if
> so, whoops...)
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Monday 08 July 2019 08:37:14 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>> >  used it once or twice, wasn't impressed, returned to apt-get and
>> > apt-cache search, which work extremely well, and have done since
>> > debian began.
>> >
>> What I am trying to do is build a much newer, rt-preempt kernel for
>> buster on an armhf, aka a pi3b.  After having configured it, I try
>> a "make" and in about a minute, am getting a missing openssl/bio.h exit:
>>
>> pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi120/buildbot/linux-5.1.14 $ make
>>   HOSTCC  scripts/extract-cert
>> scripts/extract-cert.c:21:10: fatal error: openssl/bio.h: No such file or
>> directory
>>  #include <openssl/bio.h>
>>           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> compilation terminated.
>> make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:92: scripts/extract-cert] Error 1
>> make: *** [Makefile:1065: scripts] Error 2
>>

>> not at all fam with apt-cache search, I have not found a bio.h except in
>> some obvious biology related programs. unrelated to openssl IOW.
>>
>> The man page is so long I quickly lose track of all the options.
>>
>> So how would I state the search that will find it if it exists in the
>> repo's?

% apt-file find openssl/bio.h
android-libboringssl-dev: /usr/include/android/openssl/bio.h
libssl-dev: /usr/include/openssl/bio.h
libwolfssl-dev: /usr/include/cyassl/openssl/bio.h
libwolfssl-dev: /usr/include/wolfssl/openssl/bio.h

> [...]
> openssl installed.
>
>  ok so i do have /usr/include/openssl/bio.h (makes it easier if
> someone else has it....) and so i can find it with:
>
> $ grep bio.h /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | grep openssl
>
> and that gives:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/libssl-dev:amd64.list:/usr/include/openssl/bio.h
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/nodejs.list:/usr/include/node/openssl/bio.h
>
> shriieeeek wtf am i doiiing with nodejs installed, dieee nodejs,
> dieeeee sorry about that, adverse reaction to node.js
>
> ok so you'll need to do "apt-get install libssl-dev" and that *should*
> get you the missing openssl/bio.h file.
>
> if you run into any other difficulties with missing packages, try this:
>
> "apt-get build-dep linux-image-4.something.something"
>
> that will install *all* build dependencies for a *debian* kernel build
> process... which (warning) may be a little bit more than you bargained
> for, you'll have to review what it recommends to install before
> proceeding, ok?
>
> basically when doing a build of a package that's similar (or
> identical) to an existing debian one, the trick of installing
> *debian's* build dependencies for the same name uuusuuually does the
> trick of getting you everything you'll need to build that "vanilla"
> upstream {whatever}.
>
> problems come when debian sets different options from the default, and
> you can always inspect the debian/rules file for what they are.
>

>> My /e/a/sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib
>> non-free rpi
>> # Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
>> deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib
>> non-free rpi
>>
>> >  never had *any* problems - at all -  that weren't caused by doing
>> > something incredibly stupid such as "ctrl-c" in the middle of an
>> > installation (at the point where dpkg is being called), and even then,
>> > apt-get -f install in almost 100% of cases fixed the "problem that i
>> > had myself caused".
>> >
>> >  really: if you ask me, relying on GUIs for something as
>> > mission-critical as installation of packages is asking for trouble.
>>
>> What the gui is good for is showing you the exact package name to install
>> or purge. Nothing else, however capable it might be, can really replace
>> the look and feel of a good gui. But I've been corrected before.  Teach
>> me!
>
>  :)
>
>  on-list is better (other people benefit too).  these are what i use:
>
> for source stuff:
>  * apt-get source {package} - gets the *source code* of a package
>  * apt-get build-dep {package} - gets you the (full) build
> dependencies required to *make* a source package (with
> "dpkg-buildpackage)
>
> those are typically best done in a chroot, for safety.
>

> to find out which package has a file installed:
> * grep filename /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list

or:
  dpkg -S $filename

I find this rather useful too:
  dpkg -L $package

> general package installing process:
>  * apt-cache search "keyword(s)"
>  * apt-cache show {package} - usually pipe this into more (or less)
>  * apt-get install {package} - just one.
>  * apt-get --purge remove {package} - just one.

all four of those functions are available via the apt command these days.

>  these are [almost certainly] the commands that synaptics runs,
> behind-the-scenes.  for me, GUIs just irritate me beyond belief,
> because they typically require moving hands off the keyboard and onto
> the mouse.  i even use fvwm2 with "mouse-over equals window-focus"
> very deliberately to minimise clicks. this all because i have
> recurring bouts of RSI...

That's OK if you happen to have gone to the effort of learning what you
need to type to get what you want done, but even then you still need to
put some effort into keeping up to date if you want to get hold of new
features.

For instance, I know there's a better search thing for finding packages
than 'apt search ...' because I've seen it done, but I can never remember
it -- you get that sort of improvement for free if it gets added to
whatever UI you were using anyway.

Sadly, I don't have suggestions for better GUI apt-things, as I too
favour the CLI -- I'd guess that KDE has something competent.

There's 'goplay' for finding games and the like (it has other flavours,
such as 'gonet' for things tagged as networky rather than gamey, in the
package), but it's not general purpose, or featureful.

Cheers, Phil.