Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Wednesday 10 July 2019 03:19:04 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:11 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 July 2019 10:01:44 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > > for source stuff:
> > >  * apt-get source {package} - gets the *source code* of a package
> >
> > doesn't exist, this stuff is tar.gz's straight from kernel.org
>
>  doesn't matter: pick the nearest package, that's why i said
> "similar".  if that's 4.1something.something it will [should] not
> matter.  if the build dependencies are that drastically different from
> kernel to kernel it's an alarm bell.
>
> l.
you are missing the point Luke. Raspberrypi has released new drivers for
the rpi's video, which while not quite as bad as watch paint dry, were
still very noticeable slow, as much as a full second behind the motions
of the machine being controlled. The initial buster-rc2 release on 06-20
gave a glxgears speed if pulled out to full screen of about 1.6 frames a
second. With the new video drivers in place, glxgears pulled out to full
screen runs at 19 fps.

I personally think thats one hell of an improvement, but it takes a
fairly recent kernel to become aware of the updated video libraries to
make use of that.  In the raspian case I believe that was accomplished
by backporting those patches to the 4.19.50 kernel. And I also have
doubts that debian with its proscription against proprietary blobs that
probably involves, so debian will be forever stuck with the framebuffer
video, severely limiting the video speed of the armhf releases forever.

So you'll have to pardon, or ignore me while I continue to try to
assemble a u-bootable image that will exploit this new found video
speed, but in a rt-preempt environment.

And yes, I've built several bootable images with rt-preemptable kernels,
all based on the jurrasic 4.14.y kernel, and on boot, none of them have
been able to find the usb wireless stuff, like the extremely common
logitech stuff.  And you'll have to admit that no os can do anything
without its own keyboard/mouse.

I rest my case, and since by definition, all progress is made by the
unreasonable man, I will quite likely continue to be that unreasonable
man. And I will make progress if I can figure out the tools.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis