Re: need recommendation for a realtime kernel to build for an armhf

On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 12:11 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 10:52 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > Get familiar with it Alan, despite our objections, both ifconfig and
> > route have been expunged from the stretch and newer repo's. I haven't
> > figured it out either. And the man pages may as well have been written
> > in swahili or navajo. Even the so-called examples can't be made to work.
>
> The net-tools package is still available:
>
> $ apt-file search --regex 'bin/(ifconfig|route)$'
> net-tools: /sbin/ifconfig
> net-tools: /sbin/route

Possibly it is no longer part of the base install though? It's hard to
tell, neither of:
	https://packages.debian.org/unstable/net-tools
	https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/net-tools
seem to list the priority.
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/n/net-tools/control-1.60git20180626.aebd88e-1
suggests it is "important" but I think there can be overrides to that
from the ftp-master end.

If it really isn't installed by default it might be worth someone[0]
filing a bug against tasksel to ensure it is pulled in by the "standard
Unix system" task? Deprecated or not it certainly seems like it fits
that description.

Ian.

[0] specifically someone who is bothered by its absence and cares to
argue for its inclusion...