Re: firefox-esr security support for arm?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 11:02:52PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 9/8/18 10:38 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > It should actually be possible to bootstrap the Rust compiler and Cargo in version 1.24 for armel and armhf and I can take of that if no one disagrees.
>
> I'm waiting for an OK to upload from debian-release/security:

And firefox-esr_60.2.0esr-1~deb9u2_armhf.deb rolled in last night.
I really wanted to say thank you for your help!

However, starting the new firefox, I get nothing but this:

browser@kalmar:~$ firefox --safe-mode
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 5756
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
browser@kalmar:~$

And a dialog appears: "We're Sorry.  Firefox hat a problem and crashed.
[...]"

I've tried both a normal start and with safe mode, and both after
moving all of .mozilla, .cache, .config, and dconf out of the way.
I've even created a new user with an empty home directory (except
for .Xauthority) and got the same result.

Essentially, the new Firefox appears not to be useable at all at
this point.  From a security perspective, this is probably superior
to an outdated browser, but from a functionality perspective, without
a working browser, this computer is no longer able to perform its
allotted tasks.

[On a marginally related note, chromium 69.0.3497.81-1~deb9u1 for
armhf crashes with a segmentation violation, also before mapping any
browser windows.]

Regards,
Marc