Re: Running Pure Debian on the Raspberry Pi 3B+?

On Wednesday 15 August 2018 03:44:00 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> > On 8/14/18, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> >> I am thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and, from what I read,
> >> it is mostly supported by the upstream Linux kernel, but I still
> >> have doubts about
> >> what I may be losing or not, compared to Raspbian.

> >> (and I would like to use it with Kodi, to play some videos and to,
> >> perhaps, act as a NAS or a place where I can use to save some files
> >> via NFS when a USB HD is attached to it).
>
> Apologies for missing the original message which for some reason got
> marked as spam/malware.
>
> We're running a number of RPi3s here with the "Jessie" build done by
> Collabora, which relies on the Raspbian kernel and loader (hence also
> any proprietary binaries), originally because KDE didn't play nicely
> with Raspbian. I've also looked briefly at somebody's 64-bit port.
>
> My suggestion would be to stick with Raspbian unless you have a very
> good reason to explore alternatives.

I've gone back to armbian stretch on the rock64. Its networking init will
at least accept a gateway argument in /etc.network/interfaces.
debian-arm stretch will not, so you can get all over ones local network,
but cannot use the gateway to install any updates that might fix that.

Questions asked here re the lack of a gateway when it IS assigned haven't
been answered with a solution that worked with the exception that
someone did give me the correct syntax to make it work with "route"
after the boot and login, something the man page for route doesn't make
clear. And I am not convinced it even executes /etc/rc.local as I tried
to put that command in as a shell util, and it was ignored on reboot.

Armbian Just Works with the exception that its sd /boot partition is too
small to allow a full completion of a kernel update, but on reboot, it
has worked. When we use a 32GB (or even larger) sd card, we gain years
before the card fails, and there is no valid excuse for a /boot
partition so small its unable to hold 2 or even 3, bootable kernel
versions.

I have yet to make the rock64's do what I bought them for, but hold out
hope that they may someday, when the coder folks userstand some of us
did NOT buy them to make a media server. We want to run potentially
dangerous machinery, which requires a realtime kernel, and in the case
of the rock64, access to the spi (gpio pins) interface(s) at 50 megabaud
speeds. The pi CAN do it at 42 megabaud w/o breaking a sweat.

Thats a roadblock I expect will eventually be fixed with a new spi
driver. But I'm not reading any rumors yet. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)