Re: Anybody here know what a rock64 is?

I use the alias mc='mc -ad' in my bashrc to turn off the box-drawing
chars that don't work and disable mouse support, which makes the mouse
work for copying and pasting, at least in an rxvt window.

If this is all about lack of locale in update of the rock stuff have
you tried making a tarball of the relevant directories in the update
and just replacing them with an old version?  Or a Pi version?  But it
may be that your active locale (which could be just a number) got
trashed.  Maybe the next update will fix it too.

Some of the config files replaced in updates get saved but renamed, I
don't remember where.  Never had to use them.

I use Gimp about daily, most of the time I forget to close Firefox
first.  I may have cut down the number of undo buffers in Gimp.  By
default there's 2 GB of swap, it's usually using some.  I had really
bad luck swapping to my USB (hard) drive, it's like the drive goes to
sleep and the Pi doesn't wake it up so it crashes.  I'm experimenting
with high endurance SD cards, OK so far but my experiment only goes
back to March.

On 4/20/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2018 08:33:02 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> Well yes, all of that's true, but would raspberrypi.org mind if Debian
>> borrowed a copy of their scripts?  I'm not a lawyer but I doubt it.
>> Meanwhile the Pi has a userbase of millions.  OpenBSD didn't even have
>> locale at all last I knew, it's not that essential.
>>
>> raspi-config isn't 3b specific, it works on my Zero.  Speed usually
>> comes at the expense of power consumption,
>
> Power consumption, as long as cooling is adequate, is not a consideratio
> when this thing has an 8/4 line cord leading to a dryer socket and 2 hp
> worth of motors it controls.
>
>> I'm looking at running
>> these on 18650 lithium batteries and making a tablet.  They're mostly
>> fast enough, Firefox isn't very efficient.  That and Gimp are my 2
>> worst hogs.
>
> If you want to run gimp on a pi, that 1GB of ram will kill its
> performance.
>
>> But I've run only Pis for 6 months or so.  I have one
>> amd64 laptop running because it's got an oversize battery that keeps
>> it up through 3-4 hours of power outage, but it's just logging
>> temperatures.  Running Debian though.  Locale on that looks the same:
>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> LANGUAGE=
>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_ALL=
>
> As it does on this rock64, but the default shell is not aware of it now.
> The charset that mc uses is being substituted until mc is a very strange
> looking beast.

>> > raspi.config is pi-3b specific. For starters the pi is armhf, the
>> > rock64 is arm64, a whole new rig 50x faster than any pi. It would
>> > take around 3 days to build the pi's kernel on the pi. It can be
>> > done in something less than an hour on the rock64.

> You've got a couple more lines than I do, but its all the same like
> yours.

> Mine too, thanks Alan.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach