Re: Anybody here know what a rock64 is?

On Friday 20 April 2018 08:33:02 Alan Corey wrote:

> Well yes, all of that's true, but would raspberrypi.org mind if Debian
> borrowed a copy of their scripts?  I'm not a lawyer but I doubt it.
> Meanwhile the Pi has a userbase of millions.  OpenBSD didn't even have
> locale at all last I knew, it's not that essential.
>
> raspi-config isn't 3b specific, it works on my Zero.  Speed usually
> comes at the expense of power consumption,

Power consumption, as long as cooling is adequate, is not a consideratio
when this thing has an 8/4 line cord leading to a dryer socket and 2 hp
worth of motors it controls.

> I'm looking at running
> these on 18650 lithium batteries and making a tablet.  They're mostly
> fast enough, Firefox isn't very efficient.  That and Gimp are my 2
> worst hogs.

If you want to run gimp on a pi, that 1GB of ram will kill its
performance.

> But I've run only Pis for 6 months or so.  I have one
> amd64 laptop running because it's got an oversize battery that keeps
> it up through 3-4 hours of power outage, but it's just logging
> temperatures.  Running Debian though.  Locale on that looks the same:
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

As it does on this rock64, but the default shell is not aware of it now.
The charset that mc uses is being substituted until mc is a very strange
looking beast.

> On 4/20/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 20 April 2018 07:36:53 Alan Corey wrote:
> >> So, you can't just bring up raspi-config?  It's just a script
> >> anyway. The locale section:
> >
> > raspi.config is pi-3b specific. For starters the pi is armhf, the
> > rock64 is arm64, a whole new rig 50x faster than any pi. It would
> > take around 3 days to build the pi's kernel on the pi. It can be
> > done in something less than an hour on the rock64.
> >
> >> do_change_locale() {
> >>   if [ "$INTERACTIVE" = True ]; then
> >>     dpkg-reconfigure locales
> >>   else
> >>     local LOCALE="$1"
> >>     if ! LOCALE_LINE="$(grep "^$LOCALE "
> >> /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED)"; then return 1
> >>     fi
> >>     local ENCODING="$(echo $LOCALE_LINE | cut -f2 -d " ")"
> >>     echo "$LOCALE $ENCODING" > /etc/locale.gen
> >>     sed -i "s/^\s*LANG=\S*/LANG=$LOCALE/" /etc/default/locale
> >>     dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive locales
> >>   fi
> >> }
> >>
> >> locale is a command and a man page on its own but I think it just
> >> reads.  On this pi at the moment it says
> >>
> >> LANG=en_US
> >> LANGUAGE=
> >> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> >> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> >> LC_TIME="en_US"
> >> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> >> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> >> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> >> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> >> LC_NAME="en_US"
> >> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> >> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> >> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> >> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> >> LC_ALL=

You've got a couple more lines than I do, but its all the same like
yours.

> >> dpkg-reconfigure locales is the way to fix it under Debian
> >> probably, files live in /usr/share/i18n/locales

Mine too, thanks Alan.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)