Re: Anybody here know what a rock64 is?

Well yes, all of that's true, but would raspberrypi.org mind if Debian
borrowed a copy of their scripts?  I'm not a lawyer but I doubt it.
Meanwhile the Pi has a userbase of millions.  OpenBSD didn't even have
locale at all last I knew, it's not that essential.

raspi-config isn't 3b specific, it works on my Zero.  Speed usually
comes at the expense of power consumption, I'm looking at running
these on 18650 lithium batteries and making a tablet.  They're mostly
fast enough, Firefox isn't very efficient.  That and Gimp are my 2
worst hogs.  But I've run only Pis for 6 months or so.  I have one
amd64 laptop running because it's got an oversize battery that keeps
it up through 3-4 hours of power outage, but it's just logging
temperatures.  Running Debian though.  Locale on that looks the same:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

On 4/20/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2018 07:36:53 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> So, you can't just bring up raspi-config?  It's just a script anyway.
>> The locale section:
>>
> raspi.config is pi-3b specific. For starters the pi is armhf, the rock64
> is arm64, a whole new rig 50x faster than any pi. It would take around 3
> days to build the pi's kernel on the pi. It can be done in something
> less than an hour on the rock64.
>
>> do_change_locale() {
>>   if [ "$INTERACTIVE" = True ]; then
>>     dpkg-reconfigure locales
>>   else
>>     local LOCALE="$1"
>>     if ! LOCALE_LINE="$(grep "^$LOCALE " /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED)";
>> then return 1
>>     fi
>>     local ENCODING="$(echo $LOCALE_LINE | cut -f2 -d " ")"
>>     echo "$LOCALE $ENCODING" > /etc/locale.gen
>>     sed -i "s/^\s*LANG=\S*/LANG=$LOCALE/" /etc/default/locale
>>     dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive locales
>>   fi
>> }
>>
>> locale is a command and a man page on its own but I think it just
>> reads.  On this pi at the moment it says
>>
>> LANG=en_US
>> LANGUAGE=
>> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
>> LC_TIME="en_US"
>> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
>> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
>> LC_PAPER="en_US"
>> LC_NAME="en_US"
>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
>> LC_ALL=
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure locales is the way to fix it under Debian probably,
>> files live in /usr/share/i18n/locales
>>
>> On 4/20/18, Punit Agrawal <punitagrawal@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > For my locale related trouble, I normally run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
>> > locales".
>> >
>> > That's the extent of locale related knowledge. :)
>

> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach