Re: found net prob, temp fixed. installed xfce4, how to autostart it?

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:47:59 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> Greetings; Rock64, minimal stretch install.
>
> I'd like to auto-start xfce4 on a rock64.  Its installed now but startx
> can't be found.

If you need startx, you have to install the xinit package. If you want starting a graphic login at boot, you should install gdm, or lightdm (or even slim). In doubt, go for gdm or lightdm. Slim is suggested only if you need to have a very minimal installation.

> Also, I'm getting warnings as I install stuff because the locale isn't
> set, how do I fix that on the arm64 version of stretch? I see
> an /etc/locale.gen but while running locale does setup some stuff, the
> timezone isn't affected, nor the LANGUAGE setting.  And the clock is off
> 4 hours fast as its on UTC. The timezone file
> contains "America/New_York" w/o the quotes.

For the locale used in the current shell, check with the command "locale". If you want to know which locales have you installed, you can use "locale -a".

If you want to install more locales and set the default locale, as root:

"dpkg-reconfigure locales"

And follow the istruction, that should made the trick.

For the timezone it looks like the clock is correct. Just to be sure:

$ TZ=EDT date

should display your current time. If not, post here the output, (and the correct time, for comparing).

Regards,
  Diego.

--
Diego Roversi <diegor@tiscali.it>