Re: need sd card backup on r-pi-3b

On 24/09/17 16:30, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 24 September 2017 11:59:57 Alan Corey wrote:

But what's the purpose of having the gateway fields in interfaces if
not to to be reliant on the routing table?

But it's worth a shot, something like
route add default gw 192.168.71.1

That was it!

Now I've used apt to update 5 packages, and its now installing synaptic
and all its 2nd and 3rd cousins. 112 megs worth. I did ask it to install
xfce, but it couldn't find it. I'll try lxde next, but its entirely too
simple. With xfce I can set up 4 workspaces/windows and the survive a
reboot. You can add them in lxde, but they don't survive a reboot.

Anyway, progress, sorta. I am going to put that command in rc.local just
for S&G. Oh, oh, I had to create that file, does not bode well. But
we'll find out I guess.

Is there something in the /etc/network/interfaces file which is preempting what's in your .d directory?

I wouldn't put the manual route command in rc.local, I'd put it in the network interface definition as in

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 172.27.200.5/24
  post-up route add default gw 172.27.200.1 dev eth0 metric 0
  pre-down route del default gw 172.27.200.1 dev eth0

Even assuming that Network Mangler isn't being used, a mis-parse would not surprise me. I really can't remember the detail but I've previously come across some combination of packages which broke each other badly (something like multiple gateways breaking VLAN support).

Apropos different window managers (AKA desktop, environment etc.), a lot depends on what display manager (AKA login screen) is being used. For various reasons we favour lightdm, which generally speaking picks up the available window managers.

Apropos locales, my setup notes for putting Debian onto an RPi have

! dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
!
! apt-get update and upgrade here. Install  locales (ALREADY DONE)  and
! console-setup  and run  dpkg-reconfigure  locales  console-setup  and
! keyboard-configuration  using physical console just in case... it's
! probably better to MOVE THIS EARLIER since  apt-get upgrade  warns
! about some LANG etc. settings that haven't yet been established.

You can see what packages are installed using something like

dpkg --get-selections

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk