Re: need sd card backup on r-pi-3b

On Sunday 24 September 2017 13:43:20 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 24/09/17 16:30, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 September 2017 11:59:57 Alan Corey wrote:
> >> But what's the purpose of having the gateway fields in interfaces
> >> if not to to be reliant on the routing table?
> >>
> >> But it's worth a shot, something like
> >> route add default gw 192.168.71.1
> >
> > That was it!
> >
> > Now I've used apt to update 5 packages, and its now installing
> > synaptic and all its 2nd and 3rd cousins. 112 megs worth. I did ask
> > it to install xfce, but it couldn't find it. I'll try lxde next, but
> > its entirely too simple. With xfce I can set up 4 workspaces/windows
> > and the survive a reboot. You can add them in lxde, but they don't
> > survive a reboot.
> >
> > Anyway, progress, sorta. I am going to put that command in rc.local
> > just for S&G. Oh, oh, I had to create that file, does not bode well.
> > But we'll find out I guess.
>
> Is there something in the /etc/network/interfaces file which is
> preempting what's in your .d directory?
>
> I wouldn't put the manual route command in rc.local, I'd put it in the
> network interface definition as in
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>    address 172.27.200.5/24
>    post-up route add default gw 172.27.200.1 dev eth0 metric 0
>    pre-down route del default gw 172.27.200.1 dev eth0

Printed to carry out to it, rc.local didn't work.  I'll try this next

Thanks.

> Even assuming that Network Mangler isn't being used, a mis-parse would
> not surprise me. I really can't remember the detail but I've
> previously come across some combination of packages which broke each
> other badly (something like multiple gateways breaking VLAN support).
>
> Apropos different window managers (AKA desktop, environment etc.), a
> lot depends on what display manager (AKA login screen) is being used.
> For various reasons we favour lightdm, which generally speaking picks
> up the available window managers.
>
> Apropos locales, my setup notes for putting Debian onto an RPi have
>
> ! dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

I'll try that, worked.
> !
> ! apt-get update and upgrade here. Install  locales (ALREADY DONE)
> and ! console-setup  and run  dpkg-reconfigure  locales  console-setup
>  and ! keyboard-configuration  using physical console just in case...
> it's ! probably better to MOVE THIS EARLIER since  apt-get upgrade
> warns ! about some LANG etc. settings that haven't yet been
> established.
>
> You can see what packages are installed using something like
>
> dpkg --get-selections

I need to see whats available, and for that I need a safe apt-get super
called synaptic. But I've not made x run yet. startx can't be found. But
small progress, installed locate and friends, mc, less and a few others
including xfce4, which seems light weight but still more capable than
lightdm/lxde.

Joining rock64 forum, came back in here to field the confirmation email.

Thanks Mark, I'll confirm the forum, and go see if I can fix
interfaces.d/eth0.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)