Re: Cannot build OpenGL application on Qt5 on armel/hf

The guys over at Imagination technologies were ( perhaps still are ) looking for an OpenSource dev or devs* to do the needful for full OpenGL open implementation.

Id imagine this is still the case since Apple did no absorb them, but then again money might be tight since they were up for sale apparently.

Nige

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
[restoring CCs from the original mail]

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Wookey wrote:
> On 2017-09-18 23:50 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>
>> Looking at the rules file of qtbase-opensource-src, it's obvious where this
>> regression comes from, namely from the fact that qtbase-opensource-src is
>> configured to use OpenGL ES instead of proper desktop OpenGL on armel
>> and armhf [3].
>>
>> Does anyone know whether there is a way to address this issue on armel/hf
>> or do I have to disable virtualjaguar on these architectures?
>
> AIUI openGL ES is used on 32-bit ARM because that's what the GPU
> drivers target/support. I presume this hasn't changed (although I
> understand that for latest OpenGL the Desktop and ES specs got merged
> to some common set).

With open source GPU drivers coming to ARM in the last few years, we
have mesa and therefore desktop OpenGL available on some ARM based
platforms:

https://nullr0ute.com/2017/09/the-state-of-open-source-accelerated-graphics-on-arm-devices/

Only PowerVR and Mali are still stuck with proprietary drivers at this
point, sadly they are a large part of the market.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

--
“Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition.”
                                                                                                  Alan Turing