Re: Is this the right list to discuss Debian problems on pinebook?

On 2017-09-12, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I'm not (yet) subscribed to this list since I just want to know first
> whether this is the right list.  I've recently bought a pinebook[1]
> and my first surprise was that I can not simply use Debian installer
> images.

I would say that it's a reasonable place to discuss enabling support for
the pinebook in Debian...

> However I have not seen any way to upgrade the kernel which is at
> version 3.10 and *not* installed from kernel-image package but some
> manually installed /boot/kernel file.

There isn't really sufficient supportin mainline linux yet to run the
pinebook, so there isn't full out-of-the-box support for Debian yet.
There's some hope for buster...

I've built a 4.13-rcX for the pinebook using patches applied to debian's
kernel packaging from:

  https://github.com/Icenowy/linux/tree/sunxi64-4.13-rc6

But it didn't have working video, usb or wifi. So not particularly
useful yet!

> In short:  Is this the right list for this kind of questions or should
> I rather ask this on pine64 forum.

I think until support is significantly improved in mainline linux (and
therefore Debian's linux kernel packages), it would be most appropriate
to keep most questions on the pine64 forums... but I am only one voice;
perhaps opinions on the matter differ.

> The only thing I might provide would be a libump
> package[2] since this is a free precondition for the non-free graphics
> driver[3] which I needed to rebuild to get back my graphics screen under
> stretch.
> [2] https://github.com/libv/libump
> [3] https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo

Some years ago I put in an RFP for fbturbo, but no bites so far:

  https://bugs.debian.org/760025

live well,
  vagrant