Re: ARM Ports BoF: armel in buster

Quoting uhmgawa <uhmgawa@member.fsf.org>:
We've done so for Jessie, but it is a rather tedious manual process and one which starts eroding the benefit of project soak on a supported installation footprint. A relief I didn't call out previously is these figures are physical sizes. We can shoe horn in considerably more using squashfs, resulting in an acceptable image for
even 24MB flash.

This is impressing!

Is cross build generally supported for Debian?  My impression was that it was
not and a native arch build vehicle was requires such that host == target.

AFAIK, there is no policy requiring that packages can be cross-build.
But my experience is quiet good with this:

ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi- dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -aarmel ...

I don't remember what the ARCH variable is used for.
Maybe it is not needed.

At least doing so sidesteps a number of issues including agreement of dynamic
library content between the native/cross toolchains such that mixing the distro
and application bits happens under effectively the same runtime libraries.

Yes, we develop for squeeze in a squeeze chroot or VM, and for stretch
in a stretch container. Multi-arch makes things easy on stretch, that
were difficult on squeeze (dpkg-cross, apt-cross, ...).