Re: pi vs swap on flash

On Thursday 13 July 2017 12:15:41 Alan Corey wrote:

> But I did use piclone to copy my SD to the hard drive.  After you copy
> you have to mount  the hard drive partitions and manually change your
> /etc/fstab.  Also in /boot/cmdline.txt tell it that root is on
> /dev/sda2 or whatever.  Worked really slick, the partition size got
> expanded automatically and everything.

Turned out it, as usual, needed a full powerdown reset, then it was fine.

Just for S&G I ran that command to enable the swap file, and it created a
new 104 meg swap file in /var.

Then some honeydo's got into the schedule, so I've not gone back to
retest.

However, it did update the linuxcnc kit as a test to see if rotating swap
helped, but I only saw the led on the drive dim once, and it took about
20 minutes to unpack and install the new linuxcnc-uspace, like there's a
5 kilobyte a minute bottleneck someplace.

When I get a chance, I will seriously load it up to where it has to use
swap. I never saw anything but zero in the htop report while it was
installing a fresh version of linuxcnc. It spent a good 10+ minutes with
the progress bar stuck at 47%, and the deb is less than 15 megabytes.

Now I've more honeydo's, its a physical therapy day for the better half.

Take care, Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)