Re: pi vs swap on flash

Mine looks like:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/sda1  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/sda2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0

And when you reboot you should see it in top as an increase in swap.

The only downside I've found is that piclone doesn't know to ignore
it.  I put mine at the end of 320 GB, now I can't use piclone for
backups to SD anymore.  But there's been discussion that swap will
wear out an SD fast, they're rated by read/write cyccles.

On 7/13/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have a terabyte drive plugged into a usb port on a pi-3b.
> It has a swap partition of 2Gb allocated.
>
> I would like to edit fstab and put swap on this rotating media.
>
> I feel that with the pi's limited memory, this would be a noticeable
> speedup, when apt is doing updates in particular. I've had 200 megs of
> updates take over an hour to complete.
>
> How is this accomplished?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach