Re: question on armhf color depth

I meant that you should look at the depth in the xwininfo output.  24
bit color has a depth of 24, that shojuld also be one of the
possibilities like:
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
in the output from fbset

Interesting that you should mention the cheap 1366x768 monitor,
thjat's what I was using until a week or so ago.  Replaced it with a
nice Dell 22 inch SE2211920x1080 free shipped from Walmart at $92.
Anyway all the specs on the monitor/TV said it was 1366x768 while the
standard HDMI mode is 1360x768.

On 4/9/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 April 2017 18:58:07 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 09 April 2017 12:09:20 Alan Corey wrote:
>> > Color depth is a deep subject (couldn't resist).  Different windows
>> > (every X program technically has it's own window) can run at
>> > different depths even right next to each other.  Programs request a
>> > depth from X or the window manager, not to mention a color map and
>> > graphics context.  If you have xwininfo (command line program so
>> > it's not in menus) try it a little:
>> >
>> > pi2# xwininfo
>> >
>> > xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
>> >           would like information by clicking the
>> >           mouse in that window.
>> >
>> > xwininfo: Window id: 0x300008c "Gmail - question on armhf color
>> > depth - Mozilla Firefox"
>> >
>> >   Absolute upper-left X:  35
>> >   Absolute upper-left Y:  65
>> >   Relative upper-left X:  1
>> >   Relative upper-left Y:  30
>> >   Width: 1189
>> >   Height: 870
>> >   Depth: 24
>> >   Visual: 0x21
>> >   Visual Class: TrueColor
>> >   Border width: 0
>> >   Class: InputOutput
>> >   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
>> >   Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
>> >   Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
>> >   Backing Store State: NotUseful
>> >   Save Under State: no
>> >   Map State: IsViewable
>> >   Override Redirect State: no
>> >   Corners:  +35+65  -696+65  -696-145  +35-145
>> >   -geometry 1189x870+34+35
>> >
>> > The Pi seems to make more use of a frame buffer than machines with
>> > separate video cards.  Devoting more RAM to the GPU in raspi-config
>> > may have a little effect, I have 64 megs.  A frame buffer is
>> > memory-mapped video you can actually write into.  fbset may show you
>> > something:
>>
>> xwininfo reports on the windsow clicked in and since I'm logged into
>> the pi with an ssh -Y profile, it dutifully reports on the shell
>> window on this machine.
>>
>> > pi2# fbset
>>
>> The pi is running on a cheap AOC monitor that can only do 1366 by 780
>> or some such relatively odd-ball size I had to set in the kernels
>> cmdline.txt.
>>
>> Interestingly this 1366x768 is NOT listed by fbset!  So it looks like
>> I'll have to go to its console to run xwininfo, brb.
>>
>> Out at the pi, its 1366x768, 16 bit. The rest of it is a copy of what
>> you pasted in above.
>>
>> I'll take a look at fbset's man page. And I think video ram is 128
>> megs. Maybe I'll learn something. :)
>
> That had been commented out. I put it back in addition to setting the
> fb's lines to what its doing.  Time to get down on my prayer bones and
> reboot for effects.
>>
>> Thanks Alan.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach