Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Tuesday 10 January 2017 08:10:29 Alan Corey wrote:

> On 1/10/17, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-arm@telemetry.co.uk>
wrote:

> And Microsoft should have stuck to selling GWBASIC
>
> Actually I never had a lot of trouble with Logitech stuff, most of my
> mice are Logitech.  I still use one of the "Mouse Man" wedge-shaped
> ergonomic mice from the late 90s, PS/2.  I had 2 or 3 parallel port
> webcams, maybe by them, their software was terrible.  I didn't know
> they had compilers.
>
> The
> xset s noblank s off -dpms
> that was posted here has kept my monitor on for a couple days, maybe
> I'll resurrect xscreensaver.  I wanted the monitor to turn off,
> including the backlight though.
>
> >> Thats a different company I believe.
> >
> > Same company, I was their de-facto UK tech support for a while. Long
> > predated Linux of course (in a nod to the fact that we're wandering
> > way OT).

> >> APL? Not fam with that acronym.

But now nearly 40 yo memories are floating up. The IBM 5150 spoke APL,
where you could backspace over a command typed, and by pressing a
special key, you could over print the character and make it a different
command as it then showed the 2 characters over the top of each other in
one character space. It had IIRC a 5" electrostaticly deflected
oscilloscope tube for a display.

Even farther off-topic, I wonder what a working one of those is worth
today...

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:APL-keybd2.svg
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29#Syntax
> >
> > Weird by today's standards, but has its uses and there's
> > implementations that run on Debian ARM etc.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Morgan Lloyd
> > markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
> >
> > [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
> > colleagues]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)