Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1

Hello Phil,

>> Which BMC firmware are you using? AFAIK there is a broken DTB in the
>> manufacturer's firmware
>

> I replaced the shipped UEFI firmware (version D03 I think) with version
> F01 from http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5912#bios .
> Any idea if that is supposed to fix the DTB?  There doesn't seem to be
> a changelog :-(

I got D7b, which I was told it fixed it, but testing it, it did not
solve my problems.

>> therefore using ACPI boot is recommended,
>> however it is not supported until 4.7 kernel series, and then you'll
>> find #834505 (TL,DR; needs to enable ACPI and relocate initramfs
>> within first 32GB of RAM address space). Given all that machine should
>> boot.
>

> Ha OK, I was vaguely aware that there was a setting for ACPI or device tree
> and I was going to try changing it - but maybe there isn't much hope!

Debian kernel does not build ACPI on arm64... I have recently pushed a
change for that that sets
CONFIG_ACPI=y on arm64.

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/commit/?id=94622c610668a7e3eb504198b440d90bbab937a1

However, there is still one more issue when relocating initramfs and that needs
CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS_48=y
but I am told that breaks userland, so it might need to be reverted.

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/commit/?id=259c7457747fc27f974f96bc405dce17a28121ff

> Hector, is it you that has been getting the board mentioned in that bug
> working?  What's the easiest way for me to duplicate what you've done?

Build a kernel with ACPI and VA_BITS_48 enabled, build d-i mini.iso
with that kernel. Boot device passing:
  console=115200n8,ttyS0 earlycon acpi=force.

Yes, other distros kernel seem to work, at least I am told there
should be no issues with CentOS (using ACPI). I have not tried Ubuntu,
but using their kernel might be fastest way to install the board.

Regards,
--