Re: affordable arm boards with plenty of ram.

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 03:53:45PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> It's true, it doesn't come with a fan, and for some cases maybe doesn't
> need one, but I picked one up since it's running builds constantly:
>
>   https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/X15FANKIT/X15FANKIT-ND/5822502
>
> Main problem is the fan turns on and off multiple times per minute,
> rather than running long enough to actually cool the heat sink down each
> time it turns on... presumably that's solvable through software or a
> kernel setting, but I haven't delved into it. Quieter fans also probably
> exist.
>
> In general, I prefer fanless systems...

Well if you put it in a case a fan might be a good idea.  Certainly none
of the reference boards for the CPU had a fan, although also no case.

With a bigger heatsink and dropping the clock to 1GHz, it runs fine with
no fan at 85C ambient temperature. :)

Still for a system that comes without a fan you can't complain about
fan noise if you supplied a noisy fan yourself.  You can complain if
you don't like how it runs the fan, although I guess one could just use
a fixed speed fan and not let the system control it.

--
Len Sorensen