Re: affordable arm boards with plenty of ram.

On 2016-05-19, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 10:35:15AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> BeagleBoard-X15:
>>   price: not yet available, estimated ~US$239
>>   kernel: 4.6.x, currently needs custom kernel with compiled-in sata
>>   cpu: dual-core cortex-a15 (TI AM57xx)
>>   ram: 2gb
>>   disk: eSATA
>>   u-boot: 2016.03 in stretch
>>   builds: 179
>>   notes: noisy fan

> What fan?  I don't recall seeing a fan on that board.  I know it can
> drive one if you want though.

It's true, it doesn't come with a fan, and for some cases maybe doesn't
need one, but I picked one up since it's running builds constantly:

  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/X15FANKIT/X15FANKIT-ND/5822502

Main problem is the fan turns on and off multiple times per minute,
rather than running long enough to actually cool the heat sink down each
time it turns on... presumably that's solvable through software or a
kernel setting, but I haven't delved into it. Quieter fans also probably
exist.

In general, I prefer fanless systems...

live well,
  vagrant