Re: d-i on Firefly-rk3288

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 04:42:19 +0000
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:

>  yep - this is the recommended method [for now] because the default
> hardware boot order is something like eMMC microsd USB.  the technical
> reference manual is available, some references here
> http://rhombus-tech.net/rock_chips/rk3288/

Thanks for the links.

> > Not sure if there's a better way to force it to boot from eMMC. I don't
> > recall if mainline u-boot yet supports eMMC on the firefly boards;
>
>  not yet, but the patch  *but*, both the u-boot maintainer for the
> rk3288 and the rockchip developer for the rk3288 are being a bit...
> silly, you can see the [straightforward] proposed patch which i do NOT
> recommend you apply as-is, here:
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/657573/
>
>  what this patch does is basically turn your firefly into a
> deliberately-intentionally-brickable device.  let's say that you
> successfully installed that patched u-boot and OS.  now let's say that
> somewhere down the line u-boot becomes corrupted on the eMMC.  what
> you would *want* to do is to put in an external microsd with a
> recovery OS, yes?  you'd expect the u-boot SPL loader to help you out,
> there, yes?  by always looking on the external microsd first, and THEN
> looking on the eMMC, yes?

Uhm, loading spl and u-boot from the same device it may be a sensible advice, because not always spl and uboot code from different version of u-boot are compatible. And with rkflashkit you could always reflash spl and u-boot on emmc, at least I hope so, because I've not really tried yet. And after loading spl+u-boot, from u-boot you can choose to boot from sd or emmc.

Documentation on rk3288 devices are quite sparse, at least compared to allwinner devices. So I think, I'll write a bit on debian wiki after some experiment.

>  both sjg's suggestion "always boot from the device on which the SPL
> loader is present" *and* jacob's patch result in the device basically
> NEVER looking on the external microsd unless u-boot *is not actually
> present*.  both suggestions will even try to load a corrupted u-boot
> from the eMMC.
>
>  so.
>
>  to correct that, diego, grab that patch then modify it to *reverse*
> BOOT_DEVICE_MMC2 and BOOT_DEVICE_MMC1:
>
> +	spl_boot_list[0] = BOOT_DEVICE_MMC1;
> +	spl_boot_list[1] = BOOT_DEVICE_MMC2;
>
> in this way you will be able to do test out future upgrades to u-boot
> by putting them onto the external microsd card, without having to do a
> one-off potentially-destructive "i hope like hell this is going to
> work first time" overwrite of u-boot, because the eMMC SPL-u-boot
> loader will be configured to help you.  you'll also be able to recover
> the system should the eMMC u-boot ever become corrupted.

That's quite a problem, but a this point you should reflash the uboot with a usb cable. Because even spl can became corrupted, and you need to cover also this case (imho).

> the firefly's a really nice board, btw.  did you get one with 4GB RAM?

2GB ram model. I found it on sale on a online shop. I agree that is a nice board. The cpu is quite fast. The only thing I miss is a native sata port (or usb 3.0).

--
Diego Roversi <diegor@tiscali.it>