Re: d-i on Firefly-rk3288

On 12/9/16, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
> On 2016-12-09, Diego Roversi wrote:
>>   I'm trying to install debian stretch on a firefly-rk3288, using debian
>> installer. I downloaded the firmware from:
>>

>> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/
>>
>>   Then I wrote the installer on a sd:
>>
>>   zcat firmware.Firefly-RK3288.img.gz partition.img.gz | pv > /dev/sdc
>>
>>   and tried to boot the firefly from sd. But I'm stuck with this errors:
>>
>> U-Boot 2014.10-RK3288-02 (Nov 26 2014 - 09:28:44)
>
> This u-boot version is not coming from the SD card; probably from the
> on-board eMMC. You may need to zero out of first few MB on the
> eMMC. This will obviously render the OS on the eMMC non-functional.

 yep - this is the recommended method [for now] because the default
hardware boot order is something like eMMC microsd USB.  the technical
reference manual is available, some references here
http://rhombus-tech.net/rock_chips/rk3288/

> Not sure if there's a better way to force it to boot from eMMC. I don't
> recall if mainline u-boot yet supports eMMC on the firefly boards;

 not yet, but the patch  *but*, both the u-boot maintainer for the
rk3288 and the rockchip developer for the rk3288 are being a bit...
silly, you can see the [straightforward] proposed patch which i do NOT
recommend you apply as-is, here:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/657573/

 what this patch does is basically turn your firefly into a
deliberately-intentionally-brickable device.  let's say that you
successfully installed that patched u-boot and OS.  now let's say that
somewhere down the line u-boot becomes corrupted on the eMMC.  what
you would *want* to do is to put in an external microsd with a
recovery OS, yes?  you'd expect the u-boot SPL loader to help you out,
there, yes?  by always looking on the external microsd first, and THEN
looking on the eMMC, yes?

 both sjg's suggestion "always boot from the device on which the SPL
loader is present" *and* jacob's patch result in the device basically
NEVER looking on the external microsd unless u-boot *is not actually
present*.  both suggestions will even try to load a corrupted u-boot
from the eMMC.

 so.

 to correct that, diego, grab that patch then modify it to *reverse*
BOOT_DEVICE_MMC2 and BOOT_DEVICE_MMC1:

+	spl_boot_list[0] = BOOT_DEVICE_MMC1;
+	spl_boot_list[1] = BOOT_DEVICE_MMC2;

in this way you will be able to do test out future upgrades to u-boot
by putting them onto the external microsd card, without having to do a
one-off potentially-destructive "i hope like hell this is going to
work first time" overwrite of u-boot, because the eMMC SPL-u-boot
loader will be configured to help you.  you'll also be able to recover
the system should the eMMC u-boot ever become corrupted.

the firefly's a really nice board, btw.  did you get one with 4GB RAM?

l.