Re: Which port for armv4l?

>> > I have an old Jornada 720 handheld PC with SA-1110 (StrongARM) CPU. I
>> > have a kernel compiled for armv4l architecture (not by me) and a
>> > userland that I don't want to use.
>> The last Debian release using StrongARM was 5.0 "Lenny" - using the
>> original 'arm' port.
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/
> There is a recent kernel patch which can be applied to trap the missing
> instructions on Strongarm so that one should be able to run current
> armel (probably rather slowly).  I have not actually tested it, and I
> don't know if it's been mainlined (probably not).

Reminds me that I wish there was some kind of "Debian from Source"
effort which would make it easy to install specific packages by
compiling them locally.  So you'd get a slightly Gentoo-ish flavor
of Debian.

In the above situation, you could then recompile locally the few
packages whose performance matters such that they stick to armv4l
instructions and hence avoid the slow emulation trap.

        Stefan