Re: armhf ABI detection crashing ldconfig on arm64

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 09:57:00AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>On 2016-04-25 00:30, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Package: libc6-bin
>> Severity: serious
>> Version: 2.22-7
>> Tags: patch
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Steev has reported some crashing using ldconfig on arm64 systems with
>> armhf added as a secondary architecture - he's using this config in
>> Kali, for example.
>>
>> Working through the problem with him on #debian-arm, I can see that
>> it's a problem with our/my patch for ARM ABI detection. On older
>> binaries that predate the new ABI flags in the ELF header, we're still
>> parsing the ARM attributes. That works fine on armel/armhf, but on
>> arm64 this code is being built wrongly using native (ELF64)
>> types. This patch is the obvious fix - enforce using ELF32 types for
>> all arches.
>
>You have the same code in unsubmitted-ldconfig-cache-abi.diff, so I
>guess it also have to be patched?

Ah, yes - good point. I'd not considered that yet. Hmmm, pondering
some more...

No, we're safe here. In *that* case, we're running inside the armhf
(or armel) version of ld.so, *not* in the arm64 version. There's no
problem there. Does that make sense to you?

>> It seems that we still have some older packages without the ABI flags
>> attached - libshout3 is one such. :-(
>
>Frankly we are keeping "temporary" hacks for quite too long on armhf. I
>would like to drop the following patches after the Stretch release:
>
>- local-soname-hack.diff

Can go away easily I think, yes. The old soname should already be
history now.

>- unsubmitted-ldconfig-cache-abi.diff

Should go away after stretch, agreed.

>- unsubmitted-ldso-abi-check.diff
>- unsubmitted-ldso-multilib.diff

Ummmm. I don't think these two can go away *at all* without breaking
multi-arch on ARM.

The first one could do with updating to use the new ARM ABI float
flags in preference to the old, slow ARM attributes scan (as an
optimisation), but the concept isn't going to change.

The second one is also necessary to deal with finding two different
float ABIs in the ld.so cache.

>Could you please ensure that all the binaries in the archive that still
>needs these patches are rebuilt?

I'll look again for broken/old stuff. I thought you'd already pushed
binNMUs for everything outstanding, though??

Also: the

Is there anybody out there?