Re: creating official Debian images for ARM-based NAS devices

On 13/04/16 17:26, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

>>> Live DVD is usually for rescue. And installer image can do for this
>>> purpose, too.
>>>

>> There are several scenarios where people can actually fulfill their use
>> case using a live DVD, the Debian TAILS project being a good example
>>

>>> If you want to get a pure debian running environment for your NAS,
>>> it's also recommended to install from official installer.
>>>
>>> Above 2 links are Jessie (current stable) images, which may don't
>>> contain the image for your device.
>>> I noticed that in another thread [0], which you're already in, Martin
>>> mentioned Seagate NAS will be supported soon.
>>> So you can wait for it, which will firstly appear on d-i daily build [1].
>>>
>>> [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/04/msg00044.html
>>> [1] https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/
>>>

>> I understand that the installer can be used on these platforms and
>> personally I'd be quite comfortable using the installer.
>>
>> However, I'm thinking about whether or not Debian can engage more users
>> by providing an experience similar to OpenWRT.  OpenWRT builds
>> ready-to-run images that people can flash into their devices, reboot and
>> get started.  There is no need for the user to run through all the
>> installer questions, on many devices they can simply log in to the
>> standard admin page, upload the OpenWRT image through a web form and it
>> starts running with default settings.
>
> So your idea is like debian-installer without installer, but with
> webmin (or other light alternative).
> It's interesting, indeed.
> You can start to work on it.

Something like this is probably not a single-person project, it may need
some coordination between different teams to agree exactly how Debian
will build and release the images.  It is no good if I come up with some
solution to build such images and nobody wants to distribute them.