Re: creating official Debian images for ARM-based NAS devices

On 13/04/16 15:24, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:37 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
>> On 13 April 2016 13:04:45 CEST, Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> installer
>>> considered

>>> http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/products/network-attached-storage/business-storage/seagate-nas/
>>>>

>>> I'm not familiar with your device, but since the chipset seems to be
>>> armhf, so the official image can be downloaded from archive:
>>> -
>>> http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/
>>>
>>> And here's the manual:
>>> - https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armhf/ch04s02.html.en
>>>

>> My question was about ready-to-run images (similar to live DVD) that can be flashed into the device rather than an installer, is there anything more close to this requirement?
>
> Live DVD is usually for rescue. And installer image can do for this
> purpose, too.

There are several scenarios where people can actually fulfill their use
case using a live DVD, the Debian TAILS project being a good example

> If you want to get a pure debian running environment for your NAS,
> it's also recommended to install from official installer.
>
> Above 2 links are Jessie (current stable) images, which may don't
> contain the image for your device.
> I noticed that in another thread [0], which you're already in, Martin
> mentioned Seagate NAS will be supported soon.
> So you can wait for it, which will firstly appear on d-i daily build [1].
>
> [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/04/msg00044.html
> [1] https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/

I understand that the installer can be used on these platforms and
personally I'd be quite comfortable using the installer.

However, I'm thinking about whether or not Debian can engage more users
by providing an experience similar to OpenWRT.  OpenWRT builds
ready-to-run images that people can flash into their devices, reboot and
get started.  There is no need for the user to run through all the
installer questions, on many devices they can simply log in to the
standard admin page, upload the OpenWRT image through a web form and it
starts running with default settings.