Re: choosing low-power/low-noise/free NAS servers to run Debian

> How many can be upgraded to Debian and operated with 100% free software,
> no binary firmware blobs at all?  Is there any comparison table that is
> useful for people buying these things with the intention of running free
> software?

My understanding is that if you're really interested in low-power and
low-noise, then you want 2.5" HDDs rather than 3.5" HDDs.

And conversely, if you want to use two or more 3.5" HDDs, then the power
consumption of the CPU/SoC is not that important.

        Stefan

PS: I use a BananaPi + WD20NPVT as low-power low-noise NAS, running
blob-free Debian.  But given your mention of SSDs you're probably not
interested in that kind of solution, since the Allwinner A20's sata-II
port is inexplicably limited to about 50MB/s throughput.