Re: choosing low-power/low-noise/free NAS servers to run Debian

On 12/04/16 15:20, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> [2016-04-12 10:20]:
>> There are a lot of ARM-based small NAS servers out there now.
>
> At this point, I'd recommend the Seagate Personal Cloud (1 or 2 bay)
> or Seagate NAS (2 and 4 bay).  They are supported in the mainline
> kernel, you can connect to u-boot via the network and I'm about to
> finish Debian support.

OK, thanks for this feedback

Is there any hope for self-building low-noise/low-power NAS with ARMv8,
for example, using the Gigabyte MP30-AR0, or do the ARMv8 solutions
consume too much power to be popular in this market?

MP30-AR0 is a microATX form-factor, CPU dissipates 45W and there are
various NAS-style cases it could go into.

I also saw the LeMaker Cello from 96boards[1], it is not clear what size
case it will go into though but it appears to be a 25W chip, so maybe
more desirable than MP30-AR0

1. https://www.96boards.org/products/ee/cello/