Re: Qnap TS-431+, Synology DS416 (AL-212)

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

> I came across the Qnap wiki[1], it doesn't mention the Qnap TS-431 and
> TS-431+
>
> Does anybody know about these, for better or worse?
>
> The specs[2] say the TS-431+ chipset is an Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-212
> dual-core 1.4GHz processor.
> It has 1GB RAM, 512MB flash, 4 hot-swap bays, 2 Gigabit ethernet ports
> and 3x USB3
>
> I did a search for other boxes using the same chipset and came across
> the Synology DiskStation DS215+ (2 bay) and DS416 (4-bay) with similar
> specs to the Qnap.  I also came across a price comparison site that lets
> people search by chipset[3]
>
> Can these be operated with 100% free software, no binary firmware blobs?
>
> Is the hardware encryption supported by Debian?  Web sites mention it
> can do AES-256 in hardware.
>

> 1. https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/QNAP
> 2. https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=171&event=2
> 3.
> https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdxnas&v=e&hloc=uk&sort=t&xf=3042_Annapurna+Labs+AL-212~3042_Annapurna+Labs+AL-314~3042_Annapurna+Labs+AL-514#xf_top

As far as I know, Annapurna-based QNAPs are not officially supported
by Debian. Support for this SoC was submitted upstream only in 4.1 so
it's relatively new. There is a dtb available for the SoC [1], but not
for the entire NAS. I don't know what kind of sata controllers,
ethernet devices and flash does it use, or if the drivers are
available upstream. You could perhaps borrow the dtb used by QNAP,
decompile it and try to build your own kernel, but it would likely
require quite a bit of work.

There is some info about another Annapurna-based NAS here:
http://natisbad.org/NAS8/index.html

The hardware crypto accelerator hasn't been mainlined. I'm not aware
of any closed firmware for this SoC.

Best regards,
Jan

1. http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/alpine.dtsi