Re: choosing low-power/low-noise/free NAS servers to run Debian

Hello,

On 04/12/2016 10:20 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> How many can be upgraded to Debian and operated with 100% free software,
> no binary firmware blobs at all?  Is there any comparison table that is
> useful for people buying these things with the intention of running free
> software?

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 here that runs Debian. The only part that
I didn't replace is the bootloader. Mine has an ancient U-Boot, but
there might be newer revisions that are already dt aware. Minimal
support for that machine is supported by barebox, but I didn't dare to
replace U-Boot yet (because I have problems booting via UART).

The NAS is driven by an Marvell Armada 370 SoC and up to now you need a
binary blob to initialize RAM.

IMHO the not-so-nice thing with commercially available NAS boxes is that
they are all a bit short on RAM. Mine has 512 MiB.

Something I was surprised at is that scp is quite noticeable slower than
unencrypted transfers.

Best regards
Uwe