Re: a Debian executable on Android

Does build.prop do any good toward a device list?  Write something to import it?

For that matter I'm not sure where a build.prop comes from, my guess
is an output from the kernel build telling what options were selected.
So is it possible to build a kernel keeping the necessary Android
options but adding ones we want?  I think some guys on XDA do that,
but not with an eye toward mainstream Linux compatibility.  I built
Linux kernel once years ago, used to build them for FreeBSD and
OpenBSD several times a year.

Keep Android stuff in a DMZ?

Re phones on network contracts, Motorola at least sells crippled
phones cheaply that are different from the full-price retail version.
I had a Motorola XT1527 I picked up cheaply on eBay which had been
sold to "Go Phone".  Motorola's web form wouldn't give me the unlock
code for the bootloader, so it couldn't be rooted (from my viewpoint).
I also couldn't tether with it.  Returned it, paid the $159 for the
retail version direct from Motorola and everything works fine.  Same
model number.  So I plan to stay away from contract phones.  I'm on
Straight Talk anyway.  Contract phones deserve to be ignored, they're
disposable appliances.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX