Re: a Debian executable on Android

On 07/04/16 16:02, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> outdated
> Android is what I have to settle for unless I spring for a Google sold
> device and prices / availability in AU aren't as good as they are in the US.

You have a reasonable choice of devices with Cyanogenmod and/or AOSP
etc. - updates are the usual Android style >100M download (or at least
they were last time I looked), but you usually get them next-day at
least (instead of in a few months via the vendors)...

I've run a Debian chroot on Cyanogenmod in the past.

You can probably find something cheap with a reasonable spec in this lot:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices#cmversions="13","13.0";;

There is also a project to build an Android phone from hardware with
open drivers too, but the name of it escapes me.

Of course I would prefer to run straight Debian on the devices too, but
if the N900 isn't for you, and neither is the amount of hacking required
to get the upstream kernel running on your device, then perhaps these
are a reasonable compromise.

Tim.