Re: a Debian executable on Android

On 7/04/2016 7:13 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>
>> Given the security [or lack thereof, in reality] of both iOS and
>> Android, I would rather have Debian directly on a mobile.
>
> If you ignore proprietaryness, I expect iOS devices are more secure
> than Debian, given their secure enclave stuff. Debian doesn't yet have
> support for Secure Boot.

No iOS was number one in the list of CVEs in 2015 with Mac OS X being
number two.  Adobe Flash Player number 3, other Adobe products 4 and 5.

So, no, even with secure enclave, iOS is not as secure as it should be
and often times Apple denies vulnerabilities until they have fixed them.

> If you mean "only Debian" then you can get that on the N900 since it
> has Linux mainline support. I don't know if anyone has tested Debian's
> Linux kernel images on N900 though.

The N900 hardware is too old; it sure was good for it's time though.

> If you mean "vendor stuff plus Debian userland" then you can get that
> on any Android-based mobile device where you can get root, here is an
> example of doing that by modifying the initramfs (so I could switch
> between Android and Debian by flashing the initramfs):

No, Android has a bucket of holes too; mainly because the likes of
Samsung can't be bothered updated less than very recent phones and
Samsung has the lion's share of Android.

So, no point in that, it is still under Android.  I want "bare" metal
Debian thanks or some other trusted Linux, perhaps a BSD, but outdated
Android is what I have to settle for unless I spring for a Google sold
device and prices / availability in AU aren't as good as they are in the US.

> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/12/03/debian-mobile/
>
> Some more links:
>
> https://cascardo.eti.br/blog/GNU_on_Smartphones_part_II/
> https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

Nice links, thank you, but it still isn't bare metal.  I wish Jolla had
survived as a tablet option -- that may have encouraged me enough to try
their phone.  But, unfortunately, the Jolla tablet is no more :(

Kind Regards
AndrewM