Re: Native kernel build produces armhf on armel system

On Tue, 2016-03-22 at 20:37 +0100, JM wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Ian Campbell <ijc@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 11:31 +0100, JM wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The system is a qnap, kirkwood flavour.
> > >
> > > I would previously build vanilla kernels with Debian's .config as
> > > described in the Kernel Handbook (copy old config, make oldconfig,
> > > make deb-pkg) and that worked well as of 4.4.1-1-exp1.
> > >
> > > Yesterday I updated my system (including debian's kernel from
> > > testing), downloaded vanilla 4.4.6 source and to my surprise make
> > > deb-pkg ended up producing an uninstallable armhf build. Is this
> > > somehow related to kirkwood->marvell transition?
> > I think it is related to:
> > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=63a478fbc05cb0627b0a33a69f3aed8dcb965953
> > and the fact that the armel/marvell flavour has CONFIG_VFP set now
> > which breaks the heuristic used there.
> >
> > armel/kirkwood had it disabled, but armel/orion5x had it enabled, so
> > the merge of the two took the superset (which was the right thing to
> > do). armel/orion5x had always had it enabled AFAICT.
> >

> > >  What should I do to
> > > build a marvell kernel now?
> > You can set KBUILD_DEBARCH=armel on the make deb-pkg command line to
> > override it.
> Thanks for the reply. Setting KBUILD_DEBARCH=armel built an armel
> kernel alright, but it seems to be orion-secific, e.g kirkwood dtbs
> are missing from  /usr/lib/linux-image-4.4.6.test1/

Linux 4.4 doesn't support orion in multiplatform kernels.  This change
was made in 4.5 and has been backported to Debian's 4.4 branch.
 You might do better to start with Debian's linux-source-4.4 package
rather than the upstream source.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.