Re: orion5x housekeeping

* Chris Moore <moore@free.fr> [2015-12-31 11:27]:
> I have two orion5x based devices relegated to the cupboard :-
>
> * LaCie Ethernet Disk mini V2
> Albert Aribaud and I ported the 2.6.28 Linux kernel to this.
> However I have not tested any kernels since the DT conversion in 3.16.
> IIRC mine was running Lenny but others have been running Squeeze and Wheezy.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my original message.  I wasn't
really looking for people to add support for new orion5x devices at
this point given the age of the platform.  There have been discussions
at DebConf about dropping orion5x support and so I wanted to ensure
that the devices we support (or claim to support) are actually
supported and that we can continue to support orion5x in stretch.

So if this device is in your cupboard, maybe just leave it there. :)
Having said this, if you and Albert, are genuinly interested in having
support in Debian, believe there's demand for this and are willing to
do the work, I have no objections.

> * Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo (LS-WTGL)
> Mine still has the stock firmware.
> I didn't even know that it was supported by the mainline kernel.
> But I just checked and support was added recently in 4.3 :)

Roger Shimizu recently tried to add support for this device but the
Debian kernel doesn't boot because of some limits in u-boot:
"However, I found another issue, the kernel image size for orion5x is
already exceed the u-boot limit of LS-WTGL, the only orion5x box I
have on hand."
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2015/10/msg00219.html
Ben Hutchings changed the kernel size on orion5x from ~1.5 to ~2 MB
recently and I doubt this will change since it's considerable trouble
fitting it in ~1.5 MB.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/