orion5x housekeeping

I was looking at debian-installer and thought it would be good to see
if there are maintainers (and if not, at least users) for the orion5x
devices we supposedly support.

I see 3 classes of devices:

1) Linkstation: these were added by various people over the years but
I don't think we had a formal maintainer in a long time.  Roger
Shimizu put in some effort recently but I'm not sure which devices he
has to test.

Looking at debian-installer, I see support for:

* Buffalo Kurobox Pro: I know various Debian people had these.  Are
people still using these devices?  Is Debian working?  Is the
installer working?

* Buffalo Linkstation Mini (LS-WSGL): Roger pointed out that this was
converted to Device Tree recently, so it's definitely broken in the
installer in unstable.  Adapting the build scripts to append the DT
blob is easy, but can anyone test?

* Buffalo Linkstation Pro/Live: no idea
* Buffalo Linkstation Live V3 (LS-CHL): no idea.  Any comments?

Roger mentioned u-boot restrictions on the size of the kernel that we
broke.  Does that apply to all Linkstation devices?  Do we have to
drop support for all of them in stretch?

2) HP Media Vault mv2120: this used to work fine and had users but I
haven't heard anything recently.  Any users?

3) QNAP TS-109/TS-209 and QNAP TS-409: we dropped installer support in
2011 due to the installer ramdisk being too large to fit in flash, but
I brought support back to life in the last few days thanks to XZ
compression and some other changes.  There's a problem with qcontrol
but otherwise they work fine.  I'm happy to take care of them for
stretch.

[and I should add 4) D-Link DNS-323: the Debian kernel team dropped
support due to size limits and this is not coming back.]

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/