Re: armel or armhf?

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:13:16AM -0500, Alan Corey wrote:
> I have an MSM8212 in the phone I'm trying to install on, from what
> I've been able to find it can do armv7.  So I should be able to use
> either armel or armhf but I'd be better off with armhf?
>
> I thought I had modified the Debian Kit enough but I ended up with a
> bunch of armel debs.  And then it couldn't extract the first one (acl)
> because it didn't have xzcat.  I replaced the debootstrap in it with
> the current one but I haven't figured out where the list of files
> comes from.  I got the debootstrap by having Synaptic install it on an
> i386/686 machine and grabbed the deb out of the
> /var/cache/apt/archives because it didn't look cpu dependant.  I
> suppose I could put my SD card in a card reader and run debootstrap
> under i386 with the --arch and --foreign flags to write to it.

That is a Cortex-A7, so very much capable of armhf.

You could use qemu-debootstrap if you install qemu-user-static which is
rather nice.  That way you don't have to run anything afterwards on the
target, since it will alll have been done already.  Just need to set
the passwd and edit fstab and such.

--
Len Sorensen