Cubieboard4, u-boot, flash-kernel

I'm trying to get a Cubieboard4 board booting.

It looks like the Cubieboard4 has support in mainline linux since at
least 4.2 (so should work with jessie-backports), but I can't find a
u-boot that will boot it...

I see that Karsten added a flash-kernel entry for it, but it isn't
supported in mainline u-boot or sunxi u-boot...

I'm wondering where to get a u-boot that'll work with the flash-kernel
entry, as it would be nice to not have to treat the Cubieboard4 as a
special snowflake with some ancient vendor u-boot that doesn't support
device trees and other features needed for modern kernels.

The images available at:

  http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cc-a80/Image/

Are running a vendor build of linux 3.4.x, and a u-boot fork based on
u-boot 2011.09:

  https://github.com/cubieboard/CC-A80-u-boot

Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

live well,
  vagrant