Re: Enabling llvmpipe in the mesa armhf packages

Le mardi 28 juillet 2015 à 12:27 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
>
> > Hence, I wonder why exactly is llvmpipe disabled on mesa armhf builds in
> > Debian (perhaps it was broken long ago?) and whether we could enable it
> > again.
>
> I did a quick search and found Ubuntu disabled it due to this:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/1260068
>
> Also saw these entries in the Debian changelog:
>
> mesa (10.0.1-1) experimental; urgency=low
>
>   * New upstream release.
>   * Disable llvmpipe on armhf, it regresses.
>
>  -- Maarten Lankhorst <maarten.lankhorst@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 18 Dec 2013
> 15:18:25 +0100
>
> mesa (10.0.0-1) experimental; urgency=low
>
>   [ Timo Aaltonen ]
>   * rules: Enable llvmpipe on armhf, should work now.
>
>  -- Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>  Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:17:17 +0100
>
> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/m/mesa/unstable_changelog

Those look like old issues. There are good odds that this was already
fixed upstream.

And either way, even if it breaks Unity support, it's probably better
than swrast, which doesn't support anything at all, don't you think?

> > What do you think?
>
> If it is tested and working, it seems reasonable to enable it.
> Probably it needs upstream and or Debian people to be testing it to
> avoid regressions.

Well, I could only test that it works in Fedora now. If one was to
provide me packages, I could help test them on armhf Debian (unstable)
as well.

Either way, I think it's critical that we seriously take a look at this
and enable llvmpipe if it doesn't bring significant drawbacks.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: http://www.replicant.us/
Blog: http://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: http://redmine.replicant.us/