Re: Debian Wheezy or Jessie install on Cubox-i4pro?

Hi all,

I have an Cubox i4 pro, I have the Jessie RC2 image already ( Armhf ),

I have Jessie on a Pandaboard ES ( 4460 ), and am looking at dropping it onto A Beaglebone Black.  I too can test the Cubox
and report my findings.

One quick question regarding ROS,  I see that there is a testing set on the main page now for Debian.  Is this effort being done by the ROS guys or the Deb Dev's?,
I am interested as I am in the middle of putting together a Hexapod bot.

Regards

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:04:22AM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> As I get ready to follow this procedure on my new Cubox, I
> realize that some of the description is not completely clear to
> me…
>
> Please take a look at the interpretations below and tell me if
> I’m confused… Thanks

> >> I do not have a Cubox-i4pro, but in theory the following
> >> instructions (which assume a serial console on the "service
> >> port") should result in a working Jessie install:
> >>
> >> a) Unpack the tarball at
> >>
> >>  http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
> >>
> >>  onto a FAT16/FAT32/ext2/ext3/ext4-formatted USB stick
>
> So — my interpretation of this translates into the following shell commands:
>
>       cd /tmp
>       wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
>       mkfs -t ext2 /dev/usbstick
>       mkdir /tmp/hdmedia
>       mount -v /dev/usbstick /tmp/hdmedia
>       cd /tmp/hdmedia
>       tar xpvf /tmp/hdmedia.tar.gz
>
> >>  and copy the CD ISO image from
> >>  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/armhf/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-armhf-CD-1.iso
> >>  onto the USB stick as well.
>
>       cd /tmp/hdmedia
>       wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/armhf/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-armhf-CD-1.iso
>       cd ~
>       umount -v /tmp/hdmedia

Just take a standard-format USB stick like it comes freshly out
of the package (i.e. the stick has a partition table and one
FAT32 partition), mount the partition, unpack the tarball on it
and download the ISO image to it.  E.g. something along the
lines of

mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt
cd /mnt
wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
tar -zxvf hd-media.tar.gz
wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/armhf/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-armhf-CD-1.iso
cd
umount /mnt

Using a "superfloppy" style format, i.e. a filesystem that covers
the whole stick without a partition table, does not work, which
is why your "mkfs -t ext2 /dev/usbstick" would be wrong if
/dev/usbstick is the raw device and not the first partition.

> >> b) create a Micro-SD card with u-boot for the Cubox-i4pro by
> >>  writing the image at
> >>  http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
> >>  to it.
>
>       fdisk /dev/uSDcard
>       u      # change units to sectors
>       o      # create a virgin DOS partition table
>       n      # create a partition
>       p      # make it a primary partition
>              # default start
>              # default end
>       p      # make sure you’ve got it right
>       # should see first partition starting at sector 32 and ending at the size of the uSDcard
>       w      # write the new partition table
>
>       cd /tmp
>       wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
>       gunzip MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
>       dd if=MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img of=/dev/uSDcard1      # write the raw image to the first partition

That won't work - the image is a raw SD card image, not a
partition image.  Don't make a partition table on the SD card,
just copy the image onto the raw card:

cd /tmp
wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz
zcat MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz > /dev/sdY
sync

where /dev/sdY is the raw SD card device.

> PS: Is this procedure described anywhere in the release documentation?
> (I’d be happy to RTFM if I could figure out what FM I should R…)

Not yet fully, I am currently working on updating the installation-guide.

Btw, since today there is also another installation option that
involves only an SD card:

cd /tmp
wget http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz
wget http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/partition.img.gz
zcat firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz partition.img.gz > /dev/sdZ
sync

with /dev/sdZ being the raw device for the SD card. This results
in an SD card that contains both u-boot and the netboot
installer, which loads everything else it needs over the network.
During the installation, you can simply repartition the SD card
and delete/overwrite any existing filesystem on it; i.e. you
simply replace the installer by the final installation.  Once the
installer has started, it does not need anything from the SD card
anymore.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der