Re: Debian on the Ionics Stratus plug computer

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:20:01AM +0000, Nick wrote:
> A related question...
>
> I have created a kernel package with the procedure described before;
> installing this on the plug gets an error saying that the packages
> arch (arm) doesn't match the system's (armel).

Well if the system is armel, that's good since that's still in Debian.
Not sure how you managed to make a kernel package for the old arm
architecture.  If you are cross compiling, remember that -aarm is not
the same as -aarmel in Debian when doing dpkg-buildpackage and such.

> The plug runs Debian Squeeze, I am suspecting the arch names have
> simply changed and were this Wheezy the system would also be armel,
> but I am not certain.
>
> I know I can --force-all, but is there some trick I should be using
> to get the package labelled with arch 'armel'?  Perhaps like this:

If it says arm, then it is almost certainly the old ABI which used the
old FPU style with kernel emulation for those CPUs without the old FPU
(netwinder fpu emulation in the kernel).

armel is the new ABI with softfloat.  armhf is the new ABI with hardfloat
for VFP FPUs (the new FPU style).

--
Len Sorensen