Re: QNAP 219 P II, Luks, Debian

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 21:06 +0100, Tim Fletcher wrote:
> On 31/08/14 20:40, Li, Peng wrote:
> > Hi Ian/Tim,
> >
> > Trying to make sure I understand a correct steps. I'd like to re-install
> > the whole system again. I do have a serial console connection.
> >
> > My plan is to have a /boot on a USB disk, with a 512bits data as
> > passphrase from usb key. whole two disk SDA/SDB will be RAID1 with LUKS
> > on top. Then LVM inside luks. Then, /root and /home.
>
>  From the boot log you shared I'm almost certain the /boot on usb is not
> needed for this to work, all you need to do to fix you current install
> is to change the single setting in flash to make init look in the
> correct place for the root disk.
>
> The complex steps, ie finding and assembling the RAID, decrypting the
> drive and finding the VG inside have all worked you have a single
> problem left to solve which is the kernel commandline string.
>
> Try on your serial console setting the following:
>
> setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/VG01/root
> initrd=0xa00000,0x900000 ramdisk=34816

I think the root= here will be overridden by the flash-kernel hook in
the initrd (the script I pointed to earlier). A better bet might be to
hack that to override the root to /dev/VG01/root or to fiddle the
flash-kernel option which makes it do that
(Bootloader-sets-Incorrect-Root on Jessie, something else on Wheezy
which I can't remember)

Ian.