QNAP 219 P II, Luks, Debian

Hi All,
I followed http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/ and converted my NAS to Debian. I tried the following,

1. raid0 (1G) as swap(encrypted as well with random key) and raid1 (rest of 2x1T); luks on raid1; lvm on luks; /root and /home on lvm 2. raid0 (1G) and raid1 (rest of 2x1T); lvm on luks; /root and /home on lvm.

Seceraio 2 works. sceraio 1 doesn't. Even I was able to put in passphrase during initial boot via console, it's landing in initram sys mode.

My intention is to have a fully encrypted NAS. I thought that kernel/initramdisk on the internal Flash of NAS (which was instralled by installer script) would good enough to serve as function of a seperate /boot (which would host kernel/initramdisk image). It seems not so.

My question is , do we still have to rely on /boot on disk (be it on Harddisk or a seperate usb), even we have kernel/initramd on the flash, to make this full encryption working?

many thanks
Peng